- Project: University of Sydney, Main Building Southern Entrance Stair Upgrade, Darlington Campus
- Location: University of Sydney, NSW
- Construction Date: 2011
- Client: The University of Sydney
- Builder: AD & R Illes Pty Ltd
- Stair Manufacturer: Designer Staircases Pty Ltd
University of Sydney, Main Building Southern Entrance Stair Upgrade, Darlington Campus
The Main Building or East wing was part of the extension to the Great Hall building at the University of Sydney Darlington Campus undertaken in 1854. The original Southern Entrance staircase was completed in 1862 .It is believed that these were significantly damaged by termites and a temporary stair built in its place. AMA was commissioned to replace this stair with a new grand timber staircase in keeping with Blacketts intent for the building. Using European Oak AMA created an interpretation of the northern stair, using scale and proportion to maintain a relationship between the north and south entrances. The University are extremely happy with the result and the stair has been well very received.